Police Clearance Certificate // Zaświadczenie o niekaralności Explained

In this article we are going to explain what is a Police Clearance Certificate, when you need one and how you can apply for one.

What is a Police Clearance Certificate

A Police Clearance Certificate is a translation of Zaświadczenie o niekaralności.

A police certificate is an official document issued by police or government agency of a country to enumerate any criminal records that the applicant may or may not have. Criminal records may include arrest, conviction, and possibly criminal proceedings.

Required Information

When applying for a Police Clearance Certificate you’ll be requested to provide information about yourself. If you don’t already have this information then we highly recommend collecting it before applying:

– Your full name
– Your date and place of birth
– Mother’s Name including maiden name
– Father’s Name
– Your current residential addresses
– The purpose of the request
– Citizenship
PESEL number
– Own signature
– Copy of current ID (passport)

A Police Clearance Certificate is available in two formats. Please decide which format would you prefer before applying:

a) On paper with a signature and an official stamp;

b) As a digitally signed electronic document.

Paper Format

The procedure requires a form to be filled out, signed and delivered along with a proof of payment to the Information Office of the National Criminal Register.

Please follow the steps below to obtain a certificate:

1.   Fill out the following form:

Here you can find a sample form with translations of respective fields. Please, note that it is essential that the filled form has your original signature.

2.   Pay by transfer the amount of 30,00 PLN (or an equivalent of this fee) for issuing a certificate into Ministry of Justice’s bank account which is:

NBP O/O Warszawa
PL 77 1010 1010 0400 1922 3100 0000

The bank details for a transfer regarding a certificate are as follow:

Narodowy Bank Polski
Oddział Okręgowy Warszawa
Plac Powstańców Warszawy 4
00-950 Warszawa

The money should be paid to:

Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwości
Al. Ujazdowskie 11
00 – 950 Warszawa

Remember, a proof of payment has to be attached to the above-mentioned form.

In a transfer’s title please write ‘opłata za informację o osobie z KRK – name and surname, date of preparation the form’.

Please, make sure that the amount of money that will reach Ministry of Justice’s bank account is 30 PLN or an equivalent. Some banks charge transfers and as a result Ministry of Justice doesn’t obtain the full amount of required fee.

3.   Send a filled form with a proof of payment by post to the address:

Biuro Informacyjne
Krajowego Rejestru Karnego
Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwości
ul. Czerniakowska 100
00-454 Warszawa

Important: we do not accept forms sent by fax or e-mail.

If you are staying in Poland or you have established a representative in Poland, the form could be delivered to the National Criminal Register:

a)   in person in our head office on Czerniakowska Street number 100 in Warsaw;

b)  in one of our Information Points located in courts – the list of Information Points of the National Criminal Register.

You can also authorize a person to get a certificate for you. The person should have a valid authorization (power of attorney) signed by you. This document should also have the original signature of yours (therefore this document cannot be sent by e-mail or fax).

An authorization should state that a representative is entitled to submit a request for the information on your criminal record and to obtain a response. An authorization should be written in Polish or in English. A fee for an authorization is 17,00 PLN and if your representative submits a request at our headquarter in Warsaw it should be paid to:

Urząd Dzielnicy Warszawa-Mokotow
Ul. Rakowiecka 25/27
02-517 Warszawa
18 1030 1508 0000 0005 5002 3113

If your representative submits a request in one of the Information Points of the National Criminal Register the payment should be made to an appropriate account of local authority.

An authorization and a proof of payment for an authorization fee must be attached to a form.

The alternative forms of payment for a certificate provided for clients staying in Poland or their representatives are:

  • in form of court fee stamps,
  • in cash at the Ministry of Justice box office
  • in cash at the court box office.

As soon as we receive your request for a certificate from the National Criminal Register with all necessary attachments: a proof of payment (30 PLN) and optionally an authorization with a proof of payment (17 PLN), we will process your request.

When applying for information about a collective entity, you need to fill out the following form:

The fee for issuing an information about a collective entity is 30 PLN. In a transfer’s title please write ‘opłata za informację o podmiocie zbiorowym’ – name of a collective entity, date of preparation the form’.

If an entity submitting a request is an entity entered into the National Court Register (in Polish KRS) the identity of an entity should be based on the actual excerpt from the National Court Register, and if data entered into the National Court Register does not correspond to the current legal position as well as in case of an entity unregistered in National Court Register, the identity of an entity should be based on another document containing that data.

In the signature should appear the person or persons authorized to represent an entity.

If the request is submitted by another person than the one listed in the National Court Register, she/he should have an appropriate authorization.

Electronic form

Information about a person or a collective entity could be also issued via information and communication technology system (ICT system). In order to apply electronically for a certificate to the National Criminal Register, a safe electronic signature, verified with a qualified certificate is needed. The cost of electronic document is 20 PLN.

An electronic form of payment by means of mechanisms guaranteeing initiation of the procedure of irreversible payment for an application or a request has been provided.

Please, note that in this case you will obtain a certificate as XML file. The printout of this file is not a document. If you need to submit a certificate to the authorities it is usually more useful to have a paper document.

More information about electronic form you will find on our website:

Polish Resident vs non-Resident

In order to receive the record one needs to put together a statement asking for the information.

A completed and paid up motion can be submitted in person at the Information Office of the National Criminal Register or one of the Information Points of the National Criminal Register or sent by post to the address of the Information Office of the National Criminal Register.

When submitting the form in person, please present a document verifying your identity.

Make an inquiry at the National Penal Register of the Ministry of Justice and pay the applicable fee.

Address for inquiries:

Krajowy Rejestr Karny ul.
Czerniakowska 100
00-454 Warsaw
Telephone: +48 22 39 76 200

Non-Residents (outside of Poland)

– Apply at the nearest Polish embassy or consulate or authorize a representative in Poland to act on your behalf.

– In order to obtain information from the National Criminal Register if you’re outside Poland please fill out and sign the form “Request for information about a person” and send it via the post to the address:

Biuro Informacyjne
Krajowego Rejestru Karnego
Ul. Czerniakowska 100
00-454 Warszawa

– Please attach the confirmation of payment to the completed and signed form.

The subject of the transfer should read “opłata za udzielenie informacji o osobie – (name of the requesting person)”

Please make sure to include a return address, to which a reply to the request will be sent.

Frequently asked questions

Should I pay a fee for delivering a certificate abroad?

No. Delivering abroad is free of charge.

How long does it take to issue a certificate?

According to Polish law they have 7 days to issue a certificate. However, according to art. 6.3 of Council Framework Decision 2009/315/JHA if a national of any EU country submits a request for information to a state other that a state of his/ her nationality, this state is obligated to submit a request to a state of this person nationality and has to add a response to a certificate. So if they have a request from a person from other EU country they are obligated to obtain a criminal record check from a country of a person’s nationality. This country has 20 working days for sending us a response.

They will send a certificate by post to an address indicated in a form. Please, be aware that delivering abroad can take a longer.

Can I get a certificate in English?

Polish officials will only issue certificates only in Polish. All translations have to be carried out by a person requesting a certificate.

I was convicted in Poland. How can I get information about terms and conditions of deletion of my conviction?

You should send to the National Criminal Register a signed letter containing your questions and your personal data: first name, surname, date and place of birth, parents’ names, mother’s maiden name, place of residence and citizenship. This information can also be obtained in person at the headquarters of the National Criminal Register at 100 Czerniakowska Street in Warsaw. Obtaining information in this way is free of charge.

Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. We are unable to answer any questions we might have and always recommend you seek the advice of a legal professional at a registered law firm



Related posts

Transport Ticket Inspection Explained

Warsaw Local

How to dispute a parking fine in Warsaw

Warsaw Local

What is ‘Profil Zaufany’ and how to get one

Warsaw Local